We come to this season from different traditions, yet all traditions celebrate the miracles of this time of year. I come to this time through the lens of Christianity. Advent is a time of quiet solitude. Winter solstice honors the quiet of the winter months where the ground is cold and dark so the seeds can rest and germinate for the coming spring. It is difficult to follow our bodies yearnings to be still and listen in the busiest time of the year. How do you balance solitude and community? I’d like to reflect on the Christmas story, but with a different look at the gifts of the Magi. These are gifts offered for our journey. I’ve gathered these 18 gifts from Sarah Ban Breathnach’s book Simple Abundance. They include:
Unconditional love. Selflessness. Trust. Faith. Forgiveness.
Wholeness. Second Chances. Comfort. Joy. Peace.
Reassurance. Rejoicing. Generosity. Compassion. Charity.
Wonder. Acceptance. Courage.
- Where are you on your journey with each of these gifts/qualities.?
- Which ones are challenging for you? Which are fully integrated into your life?
- How do they play out in your life?
- Which one would you like to carry with you through this season?
- Are there any that are easier to give than receive?
May you find time in this busy and miraculous season for solitude to be still and listen. A time to go inward and reflect on your life and the meaning of this time of year.
Happy Holidays to all.
Remember to free write with no editing or critiquing.